Replacing the blinker relay switch on an Audi A6 2002

Posted by bcherney on May 10, 2010 under General | 15 Comments to Read

My blinker relay switch went out on my Audi A6 2002. 85,000 miles. Decided to look online and see if it was something I could fix myself instead of paying the dealer around $150. Ended up being pretty easy to do. This sounds like a common problem so I decided to document in case anyone else needs to do the same. Please feel free to ask any questions or if you have a better way of doing it

4B0-941-509-K-B98 First – get the part. I just ordered it from a local parts store for around $80 dollars. You will need part number 4B0941509KB98

Update* You can try and fix your blinker relay first. See how here YouTube [Thanks to imapaintballa]

Next I put some masking tape along the face plate to protect it. Then lightly pried starting from lower right to lower left along the face place. Both the top and bottom of the plate each have three fasteners so move along the edge and don’t try to yank one side off…
Pry off face plate

Pry off face plate

Back of face plate

Back of face plate

You need to get the relay out of the socket. I used a pliers and a nail with a small flat head. I put the nail in the slot right above the relay. I don’t show this in the picture but while I was pulling out with the pliers I used my left hand finger to apply pressure downwards on the nail so it would stay firmly on the top edge of the relay. It popped out no problem with a good amount of force…
Pull out blinker relay

Pull out blinker relay

Pull out using some force

Pull out using some force

Next you replace the blinker relay switch. You will see in the back where to depress and pull the unit out. Slide the new unit back in. It has grooves so there is only one way to slide it in (The right way). Then push the entire unit back into the slot and it will snap back into place.

Remove old blinker relay

Remove old blinker relay

Insert pins

Insert pins

Put the face place back on. This was actually a little tricky. I ended up pushing it back on starting with the left side but giving it pressure right to left so it was snug in the corner. After a couple tries I got it into place.

Finished with face plate back on

Finished with face plate back on

Hope that helps. This took about 20 minutes. Would probably take about 10 the second time around. :) Good luck.